Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fan socks and cupboard camels

It's Jane here - hope you've enjoyed Geoff's pictures! Little bit of blurbage from me.

Living in fnq is more of an eye opener than I thought it might be. Who knew that fans can wear socks to protect the blades or that you need little plastic containers in your cupboards to absorb the moisture? Another surprise is how little you need to earn to get by and enjoy yourself. Good perspective on life. Hopefully we can make enough to eat out a little and enjoy the occasional adventure.

It's very very pretty here. We looked a living in Cairns but (and I hope I don't upset any Cairns people here) we didn't like the feel of it at all. We spent a day down there talking to people about work and looking at places to live. Driving back into Port Douglas made the contrast between the two just a little too stark, so it's here in Port that we've stayed.

I've got work as a book keeper at the Daintree EcoLodge and Spa and Geoff has landed a job as a pool cleaner at the Sea Temple. Talk about pretty places to work. Have a look: www.daintree-ecolodge.com.au www.seatemple.com.au

My mate Lynne is in a play here and has asked me to prompt for them, so am now involved in the local am dram group - performance in a couple of weeks which should be fun! I've also joined the local mobile library, so we're settling in very well.

1 comment:

Alycia Nichols said...

First, thank you so much for visiting my blog and for your very generous comments. I really appreciate it. Second, those clouds...so beautiful. Menacing, some of them, but nonetheless beautiful. There were a couple of photos there that it surprised me you stuck around to take the picture! :-) How incredibly brave you must be! That picture of the old cane wharf (I think that's what you called it) is amazing! I can just feel myself sitting there, taking in nature, living, breathing, quiet....gorgeous! Hauntingly beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing them with the world!